Day 7: Bryce to Page

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Last time we didn't get to do any hiking when we were in Bryce and I have been wanting to go back ever since.

One night's sleep in a clean bed and I am ready to take on mountains! My parents on the other hand, are off to a slow start and prefer to hang out at the cabin for a few hours so Sandy and I head out by ourselves.

I bolt out of the car excitedly when we spot a mule deer fawn and its mother.



Another car is coming up behind us so I hurry back to the car and sit down hard ... right on top of my water bottle! My seat is soaked and the dark spot on the back of my pants makes it look like I peed myself. Fantastic!

Old-fashioned gas pump at the Utah Parks Company Service Station (1947).



Sunrise point


Everything is painted a deep orange by the early morning sun.


Like a scene from a fairy tale.


After taking a few pictures from the viewing platform, it's time to head down into the canyon via the Queen's Garden trail. Unfortunately, we have only just set out when Sandy has had enough of the slippery trail and decides to hang out at the overlook while I continue deeper into the canyon.




While it would've been more fun hiking together, this does mean I can cover a lot more ground so I set the alarm on my phone and start hop skipping down the mountain as fast as I can.

So fast I apparently forgot to focus my camera. Oops, but I still like this picture ...


Gorilla-pod selfie in one of the trail's arches ... note the blanket wrapped around my waist to hide the wet pants.


 Looking up at some of the smaller hoodoos. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to venture into the deepest part of the canyon ... maybe next time?



Random close-up


Phew, I might have ran a marathon last week, but running uphill at Bryce's elevation was not part of my training plan and I find myself taking a few walk breaks to try to control my ragged breathing.

One of my favorite spots on the trail.



Back on the road we spot a random yellow tree in a sea of green



Also, a pick-up truck for only $800!


When we return to the cabin my parents have taken the chairs from the porch and are sitting on the side of the cabin soaking up the sun.



Loved this cabin!


Sheep on the neighboring property



Bye, Bryce Country Cabins!


Blown away by this herd of horses walking along in a straight line


On the way into Page we stop by Horseshoe Bend, a 1.5 mi round trip trail across gently sloping sand and sandstone. It doesn't look like much of anything until you reach the very end of the trail



Whoa! Amazing! The Colorado River wraps back on itself to form the perfect horseshoe.



Cute chipmunks are an unexpected bonus


View towards the parking lot ... as you see, not the most riveting of landscapes


Hungry we stop by America's favorite Drive-in; Sonic!


Yummy! They even look like they're enjoying it!?


A set of steps carved out of slick rock pave the way to the Glen Canyon Dam overlook.


Glen Canyon Dam




At first we drive past the dam's visitor center and pull off at the lookout over the Wahweap Overlook with great views of the marina.




We double back to the Visitor Center to watch one of their introductory movies (they have several). Nice view of the bridge from there.



Next we head down to the beach to dip our toes into Lake Powell ... or in my case, my entire body.


Cute flowers


I had raved about the beautiful sunsets over the lake at the Coves area, but to my disappointment the entire area is blocked off! We stop by the camp store and they explain that the area used to be very popular with cliff divers, but that recent droughts have caused the water level to drop significantly forcing them to close it off out of fear that someone would get hurt. When we explain that we only came to take pictures they say we are welcome to walk there. Yay!

Better yet, we run into this adorable jackrabbit on our way over.

Peekaboo!


Who, me?!


There is some time to kill before sunset, but already it's worth it ... lots of ripples in the water today.


My Dad busies himself checking out the metal pieces embedded in the sandstone.


While I lounge on the edge in between taking pictures


Now we're getting somewhere ...






Here comes the color!



Just after the sun has disappeared the sky flashes pink for a few minutes



Isn't it incredible?! I fell in love with this place the first time we came across it and even though the wind disturbed the otherwise reflective water the sunset was still breathtakingly beautiful.

We head over to Bonkers Restaurant for dinner. It's the last night of the season and they're only offering a limited menu, crossing things off as they run out, but the food is fantastic as always.

Lots of cool murals in the restaurant.




Breakfast: trail bars and other junk
Lunch: Sonic Drive-in
Dinner: Bonkers Restaurant
Hotel: Best Western View of Lake Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment