Day 3: Death Valley to Las Vegas

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Welcome to Furnace Creek Ranch!

After another good night’s sleep my body has adjusted to Pacific Standard Time and I wake up thirty minutes before the alarm is set to go off at 0730. My parents are one step ahead and already sitting in their rocking chairs out front.

Our cute duplex cabin

First order of the day is to check out the general store and pick up some fruit and snacks for lunch.

Inviting patio in front of the general store


Breakfast options are limited: a la carte at the Forty Niner or buffet style at the Wrangler. My parents aren’t super hungry so we decide on the Forty Niner where my mother orders an omelet, Sandy a pancake combo and my dad and I order the Miner’s Special (2 eggs, hash browns, toast and bacon). 

What better way to start the day than with a return visit to Zabriskie’s Point in the early morning light!

My mother loves the hat she bought at REI ... doesn't she look the part?!


Whattaya see, Dad?


Only one of the most beautiful spots on the planet obviously!  


Even though it's late October, Death Valley temperatures still frequently top 90 degrees (32C) so morning is the perfect time for a hike. Luckily, it isn't as hot as yesterday and there's a bit of a breeze too.

The Golden Canyon trail is one of your best bets for easy hiking in Death Valley.



We don’t follow the trail all the way to the end, but close enough for me to scramble up one of the hills for a better view of Red Cathedral.




Looking back towards the salt flats


I'll admit, picking my way up and down the slope partially covered by a thin layer of gravel was almost as rewarding as the views. The rest of the gang has jumped at the chance to catch their breath and hydrate in the shade before we turn back around.


Ooh it feels good to get back in the air-conditioned car! 

Badwater, located 282ft below sea level, is the lowest place in all of North America. A small sign on the cliffs behind the parking lot marks sea level.

View from the parking lot

 
Due to its unique geographical features Badwater Basin is one of the hottest places on earth and holds the all-time record for the highest temperature ever at 134 degrees (56.7C).



The walkway helps protect the fragile ecosystem that is home to the rare Badwater Snail, which we have still failed to spot on any of our trips here.



Amargosa Mountain range reflecting in the shallow pool.


The walkway leads onto this densely packed salt 


It pays off to walk a little ways down to appreciate the geometrical designs in the salt.


Salt "snow" blanketing the ground.



 Close-up of the salt crystals



Next up, the Devil’s Golf Course, a sea of jagged salt deposits that stretch as far as the eye can see in every direction you look.

 


What's even more impressive is what rests below the surface; studies suggest that the salt beds might be 9,000ft (2700m) deep in some places!

Couple of black & white shots



Beautifully patterned grasshopper



The two artists in the family are very excited to explore Artist’s Drive – a one-way stretch of road that passes by a collection of colorful rocks, also known as the Artist’s Palette.




Winding road


Less vibrant than I remembered. I'm sure this depends largely on the time of day as full sunlight tends to wash out some of the color.


We had an "Oh crap!" moment while repacking our bags this morning, when we couldn't find out brand new National Park pass anywhere. I remember holding it right before I saw the coyote, so it wouldn't surprise me if I dropped it in my excitement. 
To my relief it’s waiting for us at the desk when we return to the visitor’s center. The ranger is excited too; she says no one has ever come back for a lost pass before and that she was going to shred it by the end of the day.  

We look at the educational displays, while waiting for the movie to start; as usual, it's a beautiful movie with lots of info about the park's history, flora & fauna. I love our National Parks!!
When the movie is done there’s just enough time for one more quick stop: the Borax museum. It’s located on the property of the Furnace Creek Ranch and you’re free to wander around the mining equipment displayed outside.



The 60 ton Baldwin 280 locomotive used from 1916 to 1931 to transport borate ore.

 

I thought for sure my parents would take a nap on the way home giving that they had already seen the landscape on the way in, but they are still wide awake and enjoying “seeing everything from the other side.”




About halfway, in Pahrump, we get off the highway after I spot a Sonic, but after some back and forth decide against having dinner there. Sandy has parked a bit crooked and I can't get in from my side, but everyone else is already in so I tell them to meet me at Walmart on the far end of the parking lot ... except no hears me! So while they are searching the grounds of Sonic looking for me, I hang out on the stoop in front of Walmart in my smelly hiking outfit wondering if they left for Vegas without me ... today, I am People of Walmart! 

Finally, on my umpteenth call they hear Sandy's phone ringing and we reunite to do some more shopping at Walmart. Flip flops for $3.47. Can’t beat that!
Another pastel sunset 




Cool back-lit picture of a metal horse sculpture at the gas station


Thanks to a great win on Priceline our home for the next two nights is the uber-luxurious Trump Hotel. 


We tumble out of our dusty car amidst a throng of people dressed to the nines, but the valet doesn't bat an eye and wastes no time loading up our luggage.

Ooh-la-lobby!


It’s when we get to the check-in desk that Sandy realizes her wallet and ID are likely still in the car. One of the valets takes Sandy up to the car, where she promptly finds her wallet in the backpack she has had with her the whole time. Ha ha!

Unfortunately, since the other room is under my name they need my ID as well and that is definitely in the suitcase with the bellhop. 
After we've checked into the first room we ride the elevator up to the 31st floor where a beautiful King suite awaits, complete with queen sleeper sofa, kitchen and a bathroom big enough to host a party. My parents are VERY impressed! 




After we are reunited with our luggage and my ID, Sandy & I zoom back down the blazing fast elevator to get the second room set up. I thought they would assign us to the room next door since they share a common entryway, but unfortunately it's already taken. After doing my best puppy eyes impression they are able to room us right across the hall in a luxurious two queen suite. 

It's not quite as nice as the other room, but it has better view of the Strip. My parents are so excited to come check out the view that they end up locking themselves out of their room! The service is fantastic: one quick call and a smiling bellboy appears to let them back in.

Tired we quickly change into some long pants and walk amidst all the glittering lights to Treasure Island for their dinner buffet.  I loved the Buffet at TI the first time we went to Vegas, but wasn't impressed the second time we went; I'm happy to report it's back to being great.

My parents don’t eat much, but Sandy and I will not let opportunity go to waste and gorge ourselves on plate after plate of deliciousness. Some of my favorites were the made-to-order linguine with pesto shrimp and a made-to-order spinach salad with bacon, Parmesan, fresh mozzarella, egg and a mountain of avocado.

Pirate ship outside of Treasure Island, once the set of the now defunct Sirens of TI.



My mother asks if we want to go for a walk along the Strip after dinner, but Sandy and I are exhausted so in the end we all just head back to the hotel. Hopefully we’ll have a chance to do some exploring tomorrow!



Breakfast: 49'er Café 
Lunch: banana, pound cake, caramacs and other junk
Dinner: The Buffet at TI (Treasure Island)

Hotel: Trump International Hotel




2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I think that with my new hat I look like a native. I use it on my allotment now.
    In death Valley everything was wonderfull. Take the Golden Canyon Trail.You make such good pictures, that if I look at them, I have the feeling that I am back again. The dry air, the tiny sounds, our shuffling feet, little animals disappearing in small crevices, dry thorny plants, that looks dead but are'nt. I just loved it .
    Bad water was an other miracle. At first you don't know what you see. It looks so pristine! You feel as if you're a wittness to something amazing. It's confusing your senses. It looks like ice, but it's so hot.
    Artist palette, is there still room in my head for another incredibel sight?
    Back to Vegas on the 31 floor of the Trump hotel I sit in the dark for hours starring at the amazing view. I am completely, utterly flabbergasted. I'm so happy.
    Thank you for taking us with you on this travel, love you,

    Joeve

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know one of the things I love about blogging is being to go back and read my initial reaction to things, because you forget so many things over time. But it's just as nice to read how other people experience things ... I'm really, really glad you liked it too and that we got to share it with you and Dad. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete